‘’You can never please everybody, but you can listen to everybody. And you can say, I hear you, and this is what we can do.’’ – Sarah Courtney.
Welcome back to Happier at Work, you asked for it, and Aoife listened! Listeners have requested today’s topic of re-entering the working world, which Aoife has been excited to cover for some time now. This jam-packed episode features special guest Sarah Courtney from Sarah Courtney Coaching. Sarah is a mum first, a coach second and a champion of supporting parents who wish to work in an inclusive, family-friendly workforce.
Much ground gets covered within this episode as Sarah and Aoife discuss returning to work after a leave of absence and unpack how businesses can support their staff through times of massive transition, not just for mothers and fathers but for anyone who has taken a substantial career break. The main points throughout the episode include:
– An introduction to Sarah Courtney.
– Transitioning back into the workplace.
– Feeding the gender pay gap issues.
– The importance of senior role models in an organisation.
– Making choices: professional identity -VS- personal identity.
– Why living policies at work are essential.
– How any size business can create a family-friendly workplace culture.
– Tackling difficult conversations and managing conflict at work.
– How to identify and meet your needs.
– The benefits of open communication at work.
– The art of leading and listening: how to make your employees feel heard.
– The reality of positive returns to work.
– How transitioning into parenthood welcomes new skills and growth.
– Breaking the narrative of mommy guilt.
– What makes Sarah happier at work.
‘’Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.’’ – Maya Angelou.
THE LISTENERS SAY:
Do you have any feedback or thoughts on this discussion? If so, please connect with Aoife via the links below and let her know. Aoife would love to hear from you!
Connect with Sarah Courtney:
Connect with Happier at Work host Aoife O’Brien:
Book: Shorter: Work Better, Smarter and Less by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
Listen back: Happier at Work episode with Bettina Arnafjall:
Book: Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez