Have you ever delivered or received feedback in the workplace? For many of us, the thought of having these difficult conversations can instantly fill us with feelings of awkwardness, worry, and fear. In this week’s episode, host Aoife O’Brien breaks down feedback barriers, exploring why delivering effective and constructive feedback at work is so vital and why we should view feedback as a gift and an opportunity for growth.
“The intention of the person delivering the feedback is to actually help you, and so you should treat feedback as a gift that someone is giving you this feedback in order to help you develop in your career, in order to develop in the role that you’re in, in order to help you to work more effectively’’. – Aoife O’Brien.
Throughout the session, Aoife will share the importance of declaring the intention of feedback and will conclude the show with her top do’s and don’ts of providing effective feedback. Key points during the show include:
– The importance of feedback.
– How feedback welcomes growth.
– Addressing difficult workplace conversations.
– Creating psychological safety at work.
– Identifying feedback intentions.
– Setting clear expectations at work.
– Preparation is key: plan your feedback process.
– Focus on behaviour, not the individual.
– Why clarity and feedback examples on performance are essential.
– Finding the right balance of workplace autonomy.
– Allowing time for feedback to be digested and understood.
– Taking responsibility for behaviour.
– Aoife’s final round-up – the do’s and don’ts of giving and receiving feedback.
DID YOU KNOW? Today’s topic on delivering effective feedback is one of the keynotes that Aoife provides in organisations. If you would like Aoife to deliver this to your team or the wider organisation, please feel free to enquire directly TODAY.
THE LISTENER’S SAY:
Have a topic in mind that you would love for Aoife to explore on future podcasts? If so, please connect with Aoife via the links below and let her know. Aoife would love to hear from you!
Brene Brown on Feedback:
Connect with Happier at Work host Aoife O’Brien: