“I’m not driven by money, but I’m driven by fairness, and if I feel that something is not fair, or that I don’t understand why it’s happening, then I think that’s something that really bothers me and makes me unhappy at work.” – Aoife O’Brien.
Welcome back to Happier at Work! In this week’s solo episode, Aoife chats finance by sparking a conversation focused on pay scales and fairness at work. How do you feel about pay right now? Is your salary always at the forefront of your mind? For many, workplace salary discussions can be an uncomfortable taboo topic to bring to the table, and it’s a topic that hasn’t been unravelled on this podcast before until now.
In this episode, Aoife differentiates between the gender pay gap and equal pay, shares her personal experiences of reviews and pay-related discussions, explores if pay transparency is the future and highlights the importance of fairness and knowing your worth. Key points throughout the discussion include;
– The hygiene factor of pay.
– Gender pay gap VS equal pay.
– Getting paid – where does the responsibility lie?
– Aoife’s personal experience of employee performance reviews.
– The art of negotiating in the workplace and knowing your worth.
– Climbing the salary ladder: how organisations handle pay progression.
– The importance of setting workplace expectations.
– An insight into pay structures and the taboo-busting concept of pay transparency.
– How to negotiate a salary.
THE LISTENERS SAY:
Do you have any feedback or thoughts on this discussion? If so, please connect with Aoife via the links below and let her know. Aoife would love to hear from you!
Connect with Happier at Work host Aoife O’Brien: