Listeners interested in psychology, sociology and leadership are in for a real treat with this special extended Happier at Work episode with father-son duo Edgar and Peter Schein. Ed and Peter co-founded the Organizational Culture and Leadership Institute (OCLI.org) in 2015. Ed and Peter have just completed their fourth collaboration, the upcoming 2nd Edition of Humble Inquiry.
In this episode, Aoife O’Brien, Edgar Schein and Peter Schein discuss the importance of communication, the gentle art of Humble Enquiry and the benefits of moving forward with an open and curious mind to create a better culture. Key points covered throughout the episode include:
– An introduction to Ed and Peter Schein’s backgrounds.
– What is Humble Inquiry?
– Why we should attack the culture of telling and promote a culture of inquiry.
– The importance and influence of personal & trusting relationships.
– Psychological safety and cultural evolution.
– Encouraging people to speak up.
– Rewarding courage in the workspace.
– Exploring professional distance.
– Process of inquiry – taking time out to examine are you asking the right questions.
– The power of groups and learning how to work effectively in a team.
– What makes Ed and Peter Happier at Work.
Edgar Schein is Professor Emeritus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Sloan School of Management.
Ed received BA degrees from the University of Chicago and Stanford and his PhD in Social Psychology from Harvard University. He is the 2009 recipient of the Distinguished Scholar-Practitioner Award of the Academy of Management, the 2012 recipient of the Life-Time Achievement Award from the International Leadership Association, the 2015 Lifetime Achievement Award in Organization Development from the International OD Network.
Peter Schein is the co-founder and COO of OCLI.org. He provides counsel to senior management on organizational development challenges facing private and public sector entities worldwide. Peter’s work draws on 30 years of industry experience in marketing and corporate development at technology pioneers including Apple, SGI, Sun Microsystems, and numerous internet start-ups.
Ed and Peter’s first work together, the 5th edition of Organizational Culture and Leadership, was published in 2016. In 2018, Ed and Peter published Humble Leadership, which won the Nautilus Book Awards Silver Medal, and in 2019 they published Culture + Change +Leadership: The Corporate Culture Survival Guide 3rd Edition.
Connect with Happier at Work host Aoife O’Brien:
Douglas McGregor – Theory X Theory Y concept
Bob Johansen – Institute For The Future