“I’ve actually never come across an organisation that doesn’t value and doesn’t require the skill of problem-solving.” – Irial O’Farrell.
Returning to the podcast this week is special guest Irial O’Farrell. Last July, Irial joined Aoife on the podcast to discuss The Values of Business. If you missed that in-depth discussion, fear not, as you can listen back here.
This week, Irial returns to discuss the topic of the manager’s dilemma to celebrate the release of her third and latest book. Throughout the episode, Irial explores the managerial mindset and differentiates between a manager VS an expert. Irial also uncovers problem-solving techniques and why we should focus on performance development rather than performance management. Listeners will also learn valuable tips on how to work smarter! Key points throughout the discussion include:
– The concept of the manager’s dilemma.
– The difference between managers -VS- experts.
– How role dimensions can enhance clarity in the workplace.
– The benefits of mapping management processes.
– What is leading to the great resignation?
– Managing complexity in the workplace.
– Imposter syndrome: feeling out of depth at work.
– Why performance development is vital for business success.
– Onboarding junior staff and connecting employees with the organisation.
– How effective time management can vastly improve your work routine.
– The rules of escalation at work.
– A sample of questions every manager should be asking.
– What happiness at work means for Irial.
Connect with Irial O’Farrell:
Irial O’Farrell’s books:
Connect with Happier at Work host Aoife O’Brien: